We’ve all seen kids running around and thought to ourselves, “I’d sure like to have that kind of energy.” In this fast-paced world, energy-boosting supplements are a quick rescue. There are many different choices in the category of energy supplements, such as sugar, caffeine, pills and energy drinks. Lets explore some of the best and worst ways to put an extra spring in your step.
Most people know that sugar and caffeine can be used as sources of quick energy. However, too much sugar and/or caffeine can be hard on the liver and adrenals. These stimulants also cause fluid loss, which can lead to dehydration. Unstable blood sugar levels are another problem associated with the overuse of these stimulants, which is very hard on the body. 1 Are sugar and caffeine always a bad choice? No, but they should always be used in moderation.
Energy supplements can also come in other forms, including pills and drinks. Red Bull has been quite popular over the past few years. Keep in mind that energy supplements containing vitamins and minerals are more likely to give the body lasting energy without a major energy crash later. This is because vitamins and minerals help to balance the body. B-Complex vitamins, Folic Acid, Chromium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc have all been noted for their ability to increase energy. 2 3
Another source of energy that people tend to overlook is exercise. Exercise oxygenates body cells and balances the body, creating extra energy. 4 Exercise has also been shown to improve a person’s mood, which can be noted as another benefit. 5 One advantage to exercise is that if it is done properly, there are virtually no side effects. However, exercise does take more time and effort. Although most people who do exercise regularly will say that exercise is well worth the time and effort.
It is nice to know that T.J. Clark has created energy enhancing supplements with the intent of keeping balance within the body. Our Energy Aide and Mineral Aide drinks provide energy enhancing vitamins, minerals and nutrients that work together to keep the body in balance. Another great way to provide energy enhancing minerals that are missing from most diets is with our Trace Mineral Supplement.
Here are some more tips on how to increase your energy:
- Be diverse – Try not to rely solely on energy supplements if possible. Try yoga, meditation, working out at the gym or walking as part of a plan to increase your energy.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Consume energy supplements with vitamins and minerals. By using supplements with vitamins and minerals, you are giving back to your body, which helps to create balance.
- Moderation – Too much sugar and/or caffeine without vitamins and minerals can create an imbalance. Moderation is the key.
- Attitude – Stop acting your age! But seriously, increase your energy simply by feeling like a kid again. Keep life as simple as possible and spend some time doing the things that you enjoy.
As always it is important to know your own body. Use the tips from above to create more energy in your own life, but keep in mind that you are a unique person. That is why it is very important to always listen to your body. Our hope is that this article helps to bring you the energy you deserve.
- The Benefits of B Vitamins Dr. George Obikoya. The Vitamins & Nutrition Center
- Nutriton. University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Exercise With Oxygen Therapy Section. Oxygen Healing Therapies
- Exercise boosts mood in depressed patients; Study notes quick gains in vigor, well-being
The University of Texas at Austin.